“To enhance economic growth of Pauls Valley and to serve our members
by focusing on education, promotion and development of the business community.”
What is the Chamber? The Pauls Valley Chamber of Commerce (PVCC) is regarded as the leading business resource in Garvin County. We are a member-driven organization that regularly assesses the needs of local business owners and executives. Our programs, products and events are created to deliver the strategic business solutions our members need. The PVCC is one of the largest, most influential business organizations in Garvin County. So what is the Chamber? We're your business solutions partner, specializing in tools to help you grow your business.
Funding: The Chamber is a private organization funded primarily by annual investments paid by member businesses. We are a 501(c)6 non-profit, not a government agency. While the Pauls Valley Chamber works extensively with the City of Pauls Valley to make our community a great place to do business, we are not a division of the City.
Organization: The Chamber is a 501(c)6 non-profit organization comprised of business leaders who work to improve our local community and Pauls Valley’s business climate. We are not a government agency. Our volunteer board of directors governs the Chamber, and a professional staff runs its day-to-day operations. Ultimately, the effectiveness of the Chamber as an organization is entirely dependent upon the support and involvement of its membership.
Community Involvement: The work of the Chamber is to strengthen our community by identifying both existing and forthcoming needs, problems, and opportunities. We, in turn, seek to develop solutions by forming committees and taskforces representing our member firms to help the Chamber staff implement and achieve its goals. The Chamber regularly reviews its programs, goals and results to ensure our community the kind of healthy climate to promote continued growth and prosperity.
CELEBRATING 100 YEARS OF CHAMBER SUPPORT OF THE PAULS VALLEY BUSINESS COMMUNITY
Our History v
By Adrienne Grimmett
Pauls Valley Historical Society
In 1898, a local Business Men’s Club had been organized and was active for a time, but had become dormant. The Sentinel and the Enterprise, two weekly newspapers in Pauls Valley, both wrote about the need for the club’s revival in 1905.
O.S. Wilson, editor of the Sentinel, stated, “Pauls Valley is in a progressive country where for a town to stay at the head of the procession requires organization on the part of the citizens. The Business Men’s Club ought to be revived and get down to business.”
The businessmen listened, and held an enthusiastic meeting on May 11, 1905, at the Federal Court House to perfect the organization of a commercial club. William Freeman was elected president and C.H. Thomason, vice-president. A committee on constitutions and bylaws was appointed. Membership fee was $5.00 each and $1.00 per month for one year. A total of 125 persons signed up.
This was the forerunner of our Chamber of Commerce.
The Commercial Club, public spirit and beautifying the town were all three combined in various articles stressing that they were connected to the building of our town. In one of the Sentinel’s editorials of April 13, 1905, the following “statements” were made: “A stranger in a town is always favorably or unfavorably impressed with his new surroundings and is ready to criticize in less that 15 minutes after his arrival. Now, if one should come to Pauls Valley (and they are coming every day), what would he say of us in the way of criticism. Would he say the town is in a beautiful spot and more care should be taken to put the streets and alleys in better condition? What about our sidewalks and weeds?”
“Every cent spent in beautifying and adorning our town in any manner is money well spent and will come back to us one hundred fold. To be public spirited means to the up-building of a town what patriotism means to the preservation of our country,” wrote editor Wilson.
The city fathers knew we were on the verge of statehood and wanted to be ready for “the greatness that was coming.”
In 1921, business leaders came together again and formed the Pauls Valley Chamber of Commerce, as we know it today.
The first Chamber Board President was E.W. Lowe, and Burt Brown was the first Executive Director of the Chamber.
The Chamber's office is the former headquarters for the Pauls Valley Masonic Lodge. Built in 1906 -- 1 year before statehood -- the structure is said to be the oldest structure in continuous use in downtown Pauls Valley. It is an important entry of the historic central business district that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
1922 article that appeared in the Pauls Valley Democrat announces the organization of the Pauls Valley Chamber of Commerce. [Oklahoma Historical Society photo]